Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday to Brooke-Tini!!!

I never shared this when she was born, but figured I would today in honor of her Birthday! I will attach some pictures later. We are off to celebrate my baby's day!!! Love you Brooke-Tini!


Brooke Lynn’s Birth Story

Born: June 15th, 2010

at 9:05pm

Weighing : 8lbs 5.5ozs

And 21” Long!

So where to begin….I guess from the morning of the 15th. As most people know, I have had all my babies at least a week early. So when 39 weeks came and went I was kind of shocked! Lol All my prenatal care was being done in Stockton, but I wanted to deliver at the Antioch Hospital facility and since my doctor didn’t deliver in Antioch (different County) I had to make my 40 week appt with a doctor at the Antioch facility. So it was all set up for Tuesday, June 15th, at 9:20am. I woke up disappointed that I hadn’t gone in to labor on my own, got dressed, and headed out the door before more than half my family was awake.

Got to my appointment and blood pressure was really high (160/95). Dr came in did an exam and told me I was a whole 1.5 cm dilated. I had been a 2.5cm just the week before. (Talk about more disappointment.) At this point he did an aggressive membrane sweep and measured my belly. It was measuring 43cm, or 43 weeks. He was guessing baby to be 9 ½ lbs and wanted to send me over for a Non-Stress Test. First the nurse did an U/S and wasn’t finding much fluid, but wanted the doctor to double check, so they hooked me up the monitors while we waited for him to come in. Baby was doing great. Then they did the 2nd U/S. He was trying to measure the fluid levels and wasn’t really finding any. He did finally find one pocket and came up with 2cm of fluid. Anything below 5 is not good news. I was again told that baby was BIG and that I was all baby and placenta. He told me right then that he wanted to send me immediately over to the hospital. They would probably break what little water I had and do and amnioinfusion. I asked if I could go home first, get my stuff, and of course Brad and the girls. He was completely against this idea, but it was my choice to make. He and the nurse also advised at this point that I shouldn’t bring Aly and Kayla with me. That kids that age don’t handle it well, that my induction could take awhile, that they would be scared, etc. I had to sign release saying I was going against his wishes and off I went crying the whole way.

I called my mom while on the way home and she met me at the house. I was totally petrified of being induced. I was partially induced with Alyssa and didn’t have the Best experience. Brad and I talked and decided that it was our wishes and the girls that they be there for the birth. They had been so excited about it for weeks and to take that away then just wasn’t right. We did however make arrangement with my friend Erika that if the girls wanted/needed to leave she would come and get them.

We got to the hospital, checked in, got all settled, and talked with the Nurse and Doctor. The doctor took her guess at babies size and she said at least 9 ½ - 10lbs. Again…my anxiety shot through the roof. She then asked if I wanted/planned on an epidural. I hadn’t even gotten my IV to start induction yet. I told while I wasn’t opposed to it, I had wasn’t planning to have one. Her thoughts were at least it would be in and we wouldn’t have to do one in a rush if a c-sect was needed. She also explained that if she felt the baby wasn’t coming down the birth canal or I had been pushing too long that she wouldn’t use forceps or the vacuum, but would do a c-sect. So NOT what I wanted and while I’m sure she was trying to ease my fears, she was actually scary the crap out of me. They got me all hooked up, started the IV & Pitocin, took some blood (to test for Pre-Eclampsia, which I had with Alyssa) and we were on our way. The plan was to increase the pictocin every 30 minutes until we reached a good pattern of contractions every 2-3 minutes. This all started about 3pm. Brad and the girls watched (G-Force) a movie while I rocked in a rocking chair. Around 4pm the dr. came in again and said that since I was not Pre-e, she felt comfortable handing my care over to a Midwife, and was I ok with that. ABSOLUTELY!!! Was the first thought in my mind. Of course I said, “YES”. The midwife came in and just talked with us for a few. She asked about how my previous births went, talked to the girls about how exciting it was to be there, what kind of pain control I wanted, etc. She was so encouraging of the girls being there. Very nice lady, but she would be leaving at 8pm. Our next shift nurse came on and I recognized her right away. Her sons and a couple of my girls used to go to the same gymnastics gym together. So that made things comfortable right away. She is AWESOME and so Encouraging!

Around 5pm, Brad took the girls to go get something to eat and I just chilled and watched Transformers. I was having contractions about 5 minutes apart, but nothing that would make me stop and breathe or take real notice. They got back about 6:15 and we finished Transformers. Around 7:30 pm is when the contractions were actually starting to become “breathe” through contractions. The girls were asking why mommy was getting louder (I’m a toner and picked Uhhhhh as my tone this go round…lol). He explained that mommy would get louder as it was getting closer to having the baby. At this point, I was still totally fine breathing through contractions and put the pain level at about 5 - 6 out of 10. We decided to watch Indian Jones (the most recent one) and at 8pm & 8:05pm I felt a small amount of fluid, but thought nothing of it. I felt it again when the next contraction came, but this time felt more fluid and realized that my water must have broke. When they said my fluid was low I had no idea. I swear my water breaking was like coughing and peeing your pants a little. Kinda scary, but we knew the baby would be here soon. I reached over and hit the “nurse” call button. Brad asked me why I was calling the nurse and at that moment they came back and asked what I needed. I told them my water just broke, and Brad says “It did?”. Things picked up at this point. Around 8:30 I felt the pressure and transition. They had me get into the bed and checked me. They told me I was 5 + and I cried thinking I was going to have to labor so much longer and that she was just too big to fit. Brad, like his usual calm and reassuring self, just said the baby will be here soon. You can do this. I asked for some phentynol and while I know it helped….it sure didn’t seem to help like the last 2 times I had it with Noah & Sierra. The midwife had me get out of the bed and stand to have gravity do its thing. This was the first time in any of my labors that I didn’t want to stand up, but wanted to stay in the bed. They got me up and I immediately felt her descent through the birth canal. Such a weird feeling. Brad stood in front of me and with my arms around his neck, and we labored through the contractions. I kept getting scared saying she wasn’t coming down and she was too big. Brad and the midwife both kept reassuring me that she was and it would not be much longer. Brad also at that time told me how he could feel the baby moving down when I was leaned against him. I thought that was pretty cool. My midwife then told me to pick a deeper tone to work through contractions, which seemed to help some. Then I started burning up. I was sweating like crazy and thought I was going to pass out from the heat. Brad used a wet cloth to try to cool me down and the midwife was not only rubbing my back, but fanning me with something to help. Aly and Kayla were handling it all so well. They stayed back behind Brad sitting on the couch and just taking it in. I was told later that Kayla spent some time looking out the window during transition for me. Such a smart girl. At this point with each contraction I was starting to push without trying to. I then felt this sudden intense pressure like the baby was going to fall out. They got me back into the bed (which is not fun when you feel like the baby is coming out), we waited for the next contraction (I remember looking at the clock, it said 9:02, and then a contraction hit. Aly and Kayla were at the foot of the bed to watch, the midwife said “go for it”, and I started pushing. At 9:05pm my little beauty came into this world, as the midwife called it, Born in the caul. She was born with the amniotic sac still covering her head.

There are special meanings around the world for babies born this way. A few: They are a sign good luck and greatness, you have phycic sight, will never drown, the mark of kings, thought to bring wisdom, honor and truth, and as infants, are usually easy babies.

They laid her on my chest and Aly & Kayla came over to meet their newest little sister. My first words are always the same “Oh Thank God & I feel so much better”. Those were of course said and then it was “she doesn’t seem that big”. Brad guessed she was 8lbs 4oz and I guess 9lbs. At 9:07 the placenta was delivered. The girls were just in awe and watching her be cleaned up and assessed. That was such a joy to watch my older girls enjoying such an unforgettable moment that they, and I, will forever remember. They got her all weighed and wrapped and brought her back over to me. I spent a few moments looking my little girl over, but then handed her over to her sisters. They had been so Excited for this moment and I didn’t want to delay it. Once they were done…they handed Miss Brooke over to their daddy!

I am so Proud of Aly & Kayla and their courage to watch such an Amazing experience. They did Wonderful and share the experience very fondly. Like every time before Brad is my rock! He always gets me through the hard parts like it’s a breeze. I’m so lucky to have him as my husband, support and most of all as the Father of our babies! Brooke is such a FANTASTIC Baby! Hardly cries, loves to snuggle and sleeps AMAZING!!! We did end up back in the hospital, with Jaundice, a day after we came home, but after 24 hrs, she was home again. We all LOVE her so much!!!

Born in the Caul

Legend

It is seen as a sign of extremely good luck to be born with a caul. That caulbearers are destined for something great and will have a life of good luck.
It is also said that a caulbearer would never die from drowning.

From Wikipedia:

A child "born with the caul" has a portion of the amniotic sac or membrane remaining on the head. There are two types of cauls. The most common caul is adhered to the head and face, and looped around the ears of the infant. (What Brooke had.) The rarer type drapes over the head and partly down the torso of the child. In Germany, this would be called a "helmet" [Galea] for boys, and in Italy, for girls, a "fillet" [vitta] or "shirt" [indusium, camisia].[2]

The caul is harmless and is easily removed by the doctor or midwife. If done correctly, the attending practitioner will place a small incision in the membrane across the nostrils so that the child can breathe. The loops are then carefully un-looped from behind the ears. Then, the remainder of the caul can be either peeled back very carefully from the skin, or gently rubbed with a sheet of paper, which is then peeled away. If removed too quickly, the caul can leave wounds on the infant's flesh, which may leave permanent scars.

The caul membrane in most cases will be preserved and given to the mother. However, the parents may or may not be told that their child was born with the caul. This depends upon the particular practice of the hospital.

The "en-caul" birth, not to be confused with the "caul" birth, occurs when the infant is born inside of the entire amniotic sac. The sac balloons out at birth, with the child remaining inside of the unbroken or partially broken membrane.

Birth with a caul is rare, occurring in fewer than 1 in 80,000 births. This statistic includes "en-caul" births, which occur more frequently than authentic caul births; therefore authentic caul births are rarer than the statistic indicates.[3] Most "en-caul" births are premature.

History & Tradition:

According to Aelius Lampridius, the boy-emperor Diadumenian (208–218) was so named because he was born with a diadem formed by a rolled caul.[4]

Many caul bearers claim to possess clairvoyance or other preternatural abilities.

In medieval times the appearance of a caul on a newborn baby was seen as a sign of good luck.[5] It was considered an omen that the child was destined for greatness. Gathering the caul onto paper was considered an important tradition of childbirth: the midwife would rub a sheet of paper across the baby's head and face, pressing the material of the caul onto the paper. The caul would then be presented to the mother, to be kept as an heirloom. Some Early Modern European traditions linked caul birth to the ability to defend fertility and the harvest against the forces of evil, particularly witches and sorcerers.[6]

A legend developed suggesting that possession of a baby's caul would give its bearer good luck and protect that person from death by drowning. Cauls were therefore highly prized by sailors. Medieval women often sold these cauls to sailors for large sums of money; a caul was regarded as a valuable talisman.[7]

Birth with a caul is rare, occurring in fewer than 1 in 80,000 births. This statistic includes "en-caul" births, which occur more frequently than authentic caul births; therefore authentic caul births are rarer than the statistic indicates.[3] Most "en-caul" births are premature.

In Asia they say that if a baby is born in the caul that it is a sign of greatness and that his/her mother must have been very flexiable of body, mind and spirit.

Graphic but AMAZING pictures of a baby born in the caul:

http://www.birthingway.com/caul.htm

No comments: